Monday, May 3, 2010

Pamela Anderson, I am not...


So, I went in to CC's Boutique last week for my first fitting. I won't go into too many details about the experience because I think that all around, many girls have slight mental meltdowns during this appointment. I did. Let's just suffice it to say that when your dress doesn't fit you yet, it is easy to start having doubts, to be nitpicky about every detail, and just to freak out in general.

But, what I DO want to talk about is boobs. Yep, boobs. And...the fact that I don't really have much of them. But...my dress has enough space in the chest for some enormous melons. When I went in for the fitting, the first question the seamstress asked me was if I had a corset bra/other bra to wear. I told her I just wanted cups sewn in (I mean...I have no boobs...I don't need the support!). So, we proceeded to put on the dress, and she stuffed in some 2 inch thick pads into the chest.

After pinning the dress in certain areas (it looks like it will have to be taken in on the sides about 2 inches, and we have to add some nips and tucks to the back so I don't have a saggy looking butt), I walked around the room in the dress, trying to take note of how it felt and if there were any problem areas. I was feeling pretty good, but when I went to do one of those "boob adjustments" where you push your strapless dress up so it isn't falling down, she told me that she thought I would need a corset bra. My heart sunk a bit, but I humored her and said I'd try one just to compare. She whipped one out of the closet in my size and we put it on.

So...let me paint you a picture of the new get-up. I am corseted into this bra device...which is already padded. The seamstress then proceeds to hand me the 2" pads again to stuff inside the bra. Um, what? Seriously, this increased my chest size by about 3 inches. When we zipped the dress back up, it certainly was more secure...but I looked as though I had had some work done...

So, I'll be honest here. I'm not one of those girls who wishes for bigger boobs. Really, I'm not. I think I look perfectly proportional, and I just don't feel the need to make myself look more...enhanced...when everyone I know is aware of what I look like on a day-to-day basis. So, after looking long and hard at myself in the mirror with my increased chest, I told the seamstress that I didn't want the corset bra on top of the sewn in cups (I have to have SOMETHING in there, apparently). We took it off and I was able to look at myself again in the mirror. I was happy with what I saw...whew! Now...I just have to wait a few weeks to see the changes at my second fitting. Oh...and I'm sure you'd like some photos about now...your wish is my command!

My fabulous hair flower also managed to make an appearance...


Someone is going to have a heck of a time bustling my dress...although it looks simple, it is going to be a complicated process!



After everything was all said and done, I did start thinking about what transpired at the shop. Do all seamstresses attempt to force added boobage on you, or is this an isolated incident? Why would they automatically assume that I want a bigger chest? Did you run into this problem at your fittings? Did you feel pressured to add more padding/enhancement aside from what nature provided you?

8 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!! Love love love that hair flower too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, you look amazing in your dress! I always told my FI that I wanted bigger boobs... the Seamstress will have nothing to do with adding cups though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress looks beautiful on you!

    I don't know if it is something all seamstresses do, but perhaps they were just trying to make it easier on themselves? If they stuffed a ton of padding up top, I'm guessing they wouldn't have to alter your dress by taking it in on top as much, which would be less work for them. I had a terrible seamstress experience though, which included them cutting the lace layer of my dress while I had it on. Suffice it to say, I was pretty scarred by my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude. I had to have my dress taken in, I had pads sewn in AND I wore silicone inserts, just so it wouldn't gap and show my tiny niblets some people call boobs. Bigger boobs weren't forced on me, per se, but they kinda had to happen to make my dress fit. I wasn't fooling anyone though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. boobage, if you really wanna hear my story- email me- otherwise i loved my dress, had to have cups added but lets just say... didn't really do much- i need a lift (not support) just some lift- lucky i get to wear my dress again and THIS time i can do a little bit of adjusting so the dress is actually perfect perfect... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am probably going to have the same problem. I am president of the "Itty Bitty Titty Committee" as my mom calls it. Haha...hope the 2nd fitting doesn't stress you out as much! The hair flower is amazing! Your dress is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loves it Katie! That dress looks perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, please feel free to leave me one! Thanks! :)